You can apply as a visitor to visit to UK for reasons such as a visiting family and friends, for business related activities such as a meetings or training and for other reasons such as receiving private medical treatment.
Each specific type of visitor has different eligibility requirements. This article will discuss the standard visit visa.
You can usually stay in the UK for up to 6 months. However, if you need to visit the UK on more of a regular basis you can apply for a for long-term standard visit visa which can be 2, 5 or 10 years long. However, you can only stay a maximum of 6 months per each visit. It is ideal to stay in the UK as the period you’ve mentioned in your application.
What are the fees for a visit visa?
- 6-month standard visit visa – £95
- 2 years long term standard visit visa – £361
- 5 years long term standard visit visa – £655
- 10 years long term standard visit visa – £822
How much is IHS (Immigration Health Surcharge)?
- There is no Immigration Health Surcharge for a visit visa application
What are the eligibility requirements for standard visitors?
- The applicant must be a genuine visitor and must intend to leave the UK at the end of their visit
- The applicant’s travel, maintenance and accommodation must be provided by a third party (sponsor) where they have a genuine professional or personal relationship with the visitor
- They must be able to provide support to the applicant for the intended duration of their visit
- If the applicant is funding their own trip, they must show they are able to support themselves for accommodation and maintenance for the period they will be in the UK
What you cannot do on a visit visa
X No recourse to public funds
X You cannot do paid or unpaid work until you are permitted to participate in to business activities.
X You cannot apply for another visa category inside the UK
What documents are needed to apply for a visit visa to the UK?
- Proof that the applicant will be returning to their country after their visit
o You can show family who depend on them e.g. children
o Letters from their employers to show they are visiting the UK for a holiday
- Proof there is sufficient funds for the trip
o You can provide the sponsor’s bank statements and pay slips along with an estimate of how much the trip will cost (including flights and accommodation)
o If the applicant is funding their own visit then they must also show they can fund their trip by providing bank statements and proof of flights and accommodation
How to apply for a visit visa to the UK?
- You must apply online
- Pay the visa application fee
- You need to book an appointment at a visa application centre close to you
- You will have your photograph and fingerprints (biometrics) taken at your appointment
How long before travelling should you apply?
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you wish to travel and you should get your decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
Contact our Visit Visa Solicitors
For expert advice and assistance in relation to an application for a visit visa of the UK or its extension, contact our immigration solicitors in London on 0203 755 2858 or via email: email@example.com
By M Khalid Bashir
Abbott & Harris Solicitors
Real people with real advice.